Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Silhouette Shot at the Lake

Over the weekend, there were several comments on my silhouette shot at the lake.  I thought I'd show you a few of the tries before I got it right.  :)


First, you need to know that I had gone to the lake to shoot a pretty sunset, but wound up being slightly disappointed that there weren't really enough clouds in the sky.

Here are a few of the sunsets shot from the spot I was standing.




















Then I just decided to try a self-portrait.  I liked how, as the sun had sunk, all the things up close were a silhouette.  First I set the camera where I though it would get me and I wouldn't have to stand in the water!  :)  Then I put the time delay (which is about 8 seconds, I think) and walked up to the water's edge and posed.



The only problem with it, my head is obscured by the land on the other side of the lake...  So I adjusted my camera so that the horizon was in the lower 1/3 of the picture.  Perfect, I thought!  But....




Again, no head!  And this time, not much person either!  I had decided, after the last shot, that I would turn sideways for the picture.  Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but here's why.  I have a very distinct profile and I thought it would be nice if people knew who was in the picture!  :)

So to fix the problem, I had to lower the legs of my tripod to half the height.  I got down on my knees and adjusted the picture again.  I tried to get the horizon in the lower 1/3 of the frame again and hoped!  (It was starting to get pretty dark!)




And there you have it!  I think I am going to try a few self portraits of different kinds this summer.  We'll see how they turn out!  :)

Have a great day everyone!

Blessings to you,
Tiffany

2 comments:

MarieElizabeth said...

Nice way to solve the problem. I'll keep that in mind for futture tries at something like this.

jeff.w.mcclung said...

Very nice... I liked those sunsets, and that last silhouette pic is quite good.