Saturday, June 25, 2011

Doors!!

For some reason, I have recently become obsessed with doors.  Not just any doors, mind you, but doors with character!

Not more than a mile or two from my home is an old down-town area that is in the process of being renovated and turned into an arts district.  There are still many run-down buildings, but the progress is fabulous.  Especially because those who are doing the renovating really seem to appreciate the original architecture and preserve as much of it as possible.

Here are some shots from a quick outing I took a couple of weeks ago.  It was only 8:30 am, but that was already pretty late as far as the sunlight went.  It's summer here so I would have to get up pretty darn early to catch that lovely first light of morning.  We'll see about doing that within the next month - maybe.  I'm not really a morning person.....

This old bank building is now a jewelers.  Perfect use of an old vault if you ask me!  They do wonderful work.  I had to have my wedding ring repaired and they had it finish within 48 hours and it's perfect!

I love that you can still read the name "Sage Grocery" on the side of the building.  (Plus, I love Dr. Pepper!)

Not that this is super amazing, but it was screaming for an asymmetrical shot.

The same way that this building was shouting out for a symmetrical shot!

I have no idea why, but this building called to me.  I love the reflective glass and rich colors. 

The corner cafe.  My daughter and I went in and tried it out.  Yummy breakfast!

OK - I LOVE this door!!!  Who wouldn't!?

Another asymmetrical shot.  The door is pretty awesome.  I'll have to shoot it again when there isn't a ghastly shadow messing it up!

Just plain old AWESOME!  Spanish style building in the middle of a business district in Kansas.  Yup!  Take a look at the wrought iron on the second story window - just perfect!

Any cool architecture where you live?  You better believe I've got my eye out for those awesome doorways now!

No comments: