Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Is Everything a Lie??

To my great disappointment, I think my video card is on the fritz again....

The good news?  I just bought it a month ago - so if it is the video card going bad again, it should be under warranty.

The bad news??  It might be my monitor instead...  Oh the horror!!

So - in order to figure out what the true problem is, I have changed out monitors.  I took the monitor from my husband's now dead computer (long story involving a lightning storm..... actually, not that long, but it involves a lightning storm.)

As I turned on the computer and looked at my desktop, the internet, and my photos with the different monitor, my heart sank!!

These are not the pictures I have taken and created.  I have poured my soul into many of these, my favorite, photos and now they don't look anything like what I remember!!  Has my monitor been lying to me all these months?  Did I think I was creating deep, vibrant, jewel-toned colors only to find that they AREN'T?!??


AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!   I'm melting, melting!!!!  *imagine wicked witch of the west*  Actually, it's too hot here, I probably am melting!!!

All that aside, it does bring up an interesting thing - calibrating your monitor.  I remember reading about it last year in one of the dozens of books I picked up at the library.  I remember that it was supremely important to make sure the colors on your monitor were actually true to the colors intended.  If not, you might think you are creating a wonderful portrait, only to print them off and find that everyone's skin is a lovely alien green/gray!

My problem?  I read this in one of many books over a year ago, and I can't remember how to do it!  Not only that, this isn't my monitor....  Is my hubby going to flip if I change up things on his monitor?  (He's kinda possessive about his belongings...)

Well, while I let my computer run long enough to have problems, I'll leave you with the "green" photo of children....

Original:



What it looked like when I had it printed at Wal-Mart:  :(



Sad - so sad....

Lessons learned!!!

1.   NEVER go to Wal-Mart to have your photos printed!!! 

2.  Make sure your monitor is calibrated, so you aren't living a lie!!!!

Tiffany

PS - yes, it's a touch dramatic today, but it is SO frustrating (and it's very hot)!!!  I can't do anything except take more pictures.  Posting them or editing is pretty much out of the question at the moment...

*sigh*

1 comment:

Jillian said...

The heat makes everyone cranky. It's understandable. Sorry about the pictures!